Thursday, March 19, 2009

French Bread

2 pkgs. yeast (or 2 Tbls.)
1/2 c. warm water
2 c. hot water
3 Tbls. sugar
1 Tbls. salt
1/3 c. oil
6 c. flour
egg white beaten

Dissolve yeast in luke warm water (with a little bit of sugar). Set aside until it foams. In Mixer combine hot water, sugar, salt and oil. Add 3 c. flour and mix well. Add yeast mixture and beat until smooth. Change to dough hooks and add rest of flour (or enough flour until dough cleans the side of the bowl). Leave dough in mixer and let rest for 10 minutes. Turn on mixer to stir down and let rest for another 10 minutes. Do this 5 times (1 hour total time). Turn onto greased board (you can use flour if you prefer) and divide in 2 peices. Roll dough out with a rolling pin and then roll up (like you would do for a jelly roll or cinnamon rolls etc...). Tuck the ends in and place on greased cookie sheet. You can sprinkle cookie sheet with cornmeal if desired. Brush tops with egg white and slash each loaf 3 times. Generously sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cover loosly with a cloth and let rise until double. Bake at 400° for 35 min.

Note: I got this recipe from Sharon Evans when I first got my Bosch mixer 25 years ago:). We love it! I never brush mine with egg white. If I am using sesame seeds, I will just spritz it with water. I sometimes sprinkle the bottom with cornmeal, sometimes not. And I always bake mine on the bottom rack at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown. This is my all time favorite bread! Especially to make... it really is fool proof. I have also cut the recipe in 1/2 and made it in my bread maker(you don't have to worry about having the water hot in the bread maker (just warm) and make sure the yeast is added last so the dry yeast is just sitting on top of the flour. Just put it on dough cycle and when it shuts off, roll the dough out like you would normally. It is quick and easy!

No comments: