Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Enchilada Sauce

2 Tbl Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 medium onion diced
3 Tbl chili powder
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp sugar
3 cloves garlic minced
2  cans tomato sauce (8 oz cans)
1 1/2 cups water
1 chicken bullion cube
Salt and pepper

Sauté onion in olive oil until tender (about 5 min). Stir in chili powder, sugar and cumin. Cook until spices become fragrant. Add in garlic and cook for a minute or 2 more. Stir in tomato sauce, water and bullion cube. Mix well. Simmer about 5 minutes or until sauce is desired consistency. Salt and pepper to taste. You can use as is but I prefer to put it in the blender for a smooth consistency. Enjoy!

I love this enchilada sauce. It is a little thicker than store bought but so much better flavor! I use a zester for the garlic. It's so much easier than mincing. I also dice my onions when I get home from the store and then freeze them in a ziplock freezer bag. Makes recipes easier and the onions don't take as long to cook.

No comments: